Sunday, October 30, 2011

OLN

Sunday, October 30, 2011

So I was watching OLN this morning and this "survival" guy was on a trip in the Colorado Rockies.  I don't watch a lot of these programs but this one in particular reminded me of when I was in Girl Guides.

Why do you ask?  Well I went to survival camps with the girl guides both in the summer and winter.  We learned a lot about surviving in the outdoors and it certainly made you appreciate clean sheets, pillows and a warm bed among other things we often take for granted.  I try not to take anything for granted.

I appreciate every little thing that comes my way.  Even the rain, cold wind, whatever...at least we get to "feel" and experience life, both good and bad.  We need to suck it up because we could lose it at any time.

Life is precious.............

I was away at a girl guide summer survival camp somewhere in the boonies up north when I contracted encephalitis.  The group went out hiking and I was the only one to stay back at camp.  I don't remember why exactly, all I remember is that it was hot and I got eaten alive by mosquitos.  When camp was over and my aunt and uncle came to pick me up, they were horrified at the amount of bites I had all over my body, even on my eyelids.  When they got me home I got sick very soon after.  Not sure how soon after because I was eleven ( I figured out my age because of the music I remember listening to at that time)and that was a long time ago.  All I did was cry, experience extuciating headaches and sleep.  I also contracted the mumps so the doctor was called (they made home visits back then).  After he saw me and left, my aunt came in the room and she was crying.  OMG I thought I was dying.  She told me that I had to go to the hospital for tests.  I went to Sick Kids and had a spinal tap.  I'm sure they heard my screams for miles.  The most pain I've ever experienced. the fluid from my spine told them I had encephalitis and there was no cure.  I was admitted and spent a while there in isolation (because of the mumps) and reading my Nancy Drew when I wasn't sleeping.  Doctors came around with clipboards peering through the window of my room and making notes.  My bed was beside a window and I remember watching construction crews working on the hospital.  Anyway, needless to say they eventually sent me home and told my aunt and uncle that they would have to wake me every couple of hours so I wouldn't lapse into a coma.  I remember them walking me around the house trying to wake me up.  Well obviously I survived.  I eventually "came back" but it took a while before I could stay awake in class.

My point is there are all types of  "survival".  Everyone has a story and never take anything for granted.

Bye for now........

No comments:

Post a Comment