Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm writing this now....

Wednesday, October 26, 2011
I'm writing this now while it is still fresh in my mind.  My post today is on the serious side but it's something I feel strongly about it and want to share my thoughts on the matter.

This morning I was watching a show that covered the deaths of two young girls who were beaten to death by their parents in the name of discipline.  They were followers of a man with the last name of "Pearl" who has written a book on disciplining children.  He believes in the old adage "spare the rod, spoil the child".  He goes on in great length throughout the book, so-called guiding parents in the rearing of children using corporal punishment when necessary.  Oh and he believes it's necessary but you know what?  I don't.

Fortunately, I was raised my aunt and uncle who didn't believe in spanking or physical punishment of any kind.  Thank God!  When I was in public school the "strap" was still allowed and when threatened by it, my aunt and uncle were up at the school threatening a lawsuit if one hand (or anything else) was laid on me because they felt it was wrong and the school did not have the right.

I didn't turn out so bad.  I was not spoiled and I did get punished but in other ways that were very effective.  For instance, "grounding".  To me that was torture because back then we didn't have all the "toys" that kids now have in their rooms.  At that time I had only books.  I couldn't watch television and had to miss all my favorite shows.  I still remember banging on the bedroom door crying and screaming to be able to come and out and watch T.V.  My aunt and uncle were consistent.  The louder I protested, the louder the television got.  It worked because I couldn't stand to miss my shows.

Also, my uncle had a way of looking at me that instilled fear.  Of what, I'm not quite sure but it made me behave.

If we applaude women for getting out of abusive relationships (been there,done that) then why do we allow parents to abuse their children (when they can't leave and don't have a choice).  It makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I just had to get that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment