Saturday, June 23, 2012

Serene Saturday!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

I must admit, I'm somewhat serene today.  We just came back from a fabulous mini-vacation in the Falls (one of my favorite places to be).  While there, my celiac wasn't too bad except for the headaches (one of my symptoms) which can last for days.  I just had to wait it out.  Much better today so far.

The trips to the Falls have become a family tradition with us.  When we just want a quick getaway we usually end up there.  For years we've been visiting the wineries, eating at the outdoor cafes, walking along River Street and just having a blast!  The weather was warm and I went swimming in the hotel pool (which I haven't done since our trip to the Dominican Republic).  Well I sort of swam in Capri last year but the bottom was too rocky.  Not enjoyable. Sat in the hot tub and sunbathed on the deck attached to the pool.  Sheer heaven.  I've always been a water baby.  Hubby and I both share our love of the water.  The kid too I think was born with "fins".  I'm not a strong swimmer and prefer underwater where I can hold my breath for quite a long time.  Something I practised as a kid. I get lost in my own world and only come up for air when I have to.

Niagara Falls is steeped in history and while we were walking around I tried to picture what it would have been like when the war of 1812 was going on.  Oh did I tell you that I love history?  Well I do and I'm a bit of a geek in that respect.  So what was on last night on the history channel?  A special about the war of 1812.   Mmmm....

Anyway here are some pics from our trip:


Me & hubby at the hotel


Salute!


Dinner a the Keg


Taken from our hotel room

Hope you liked the pics.

Now today I'm a bit slow getting started but want to catch you up on some deals from last week.

The kid and I went to some local garage sales and for peanuts I was able to pick up some beautiful artificial plants for the patio.  I love a lot of greenery in and outside the house.  The trick is to mix artificial with real.  No one will know the difference but you.  The fuller the better.  So the plants I got were originally from "Homesense" one of my favorite stores and still had the price tags on them.  What a difference they make when scattered around the patio.

We also went to a sale in the neighbourhood that had some Milano glass for sale from Italy.  I purchased 2 urn-shaped green vases in the "classico" design that for now are sitting on our diningroom table.  The family having the sale was moving so everything was dirt cheap.  I also bought a pottery serving dish with a grape motif that we have going on thoughout our house.  Sat it on the coffee table outside.  Very nice.  What a difference when these items were added and cost basically nothing.

Decorating on the cheap is possible.  You just have to explore other options than buying retail.

Search garage sales, moving sales, thrift shops, consignment shops and even tell your friends and family what you are looking for.  Who knows?  They may know where to find it.

Good luck on your treasure hunting.

Now I want to just share a few pics I love:








Until later...

Ciao



No comments:

Post a Comment