Thursday, April 5, 2012

Belonging

Thursday, April 5, 2012

This post is a reflective one.  I get in those moods now and then but this time it's because of a conversation I had with my sister last evening.  Also, the great pic she sent me and I shared with all of you on my last post.  You see this is my sister from my dad's second marriage to a fabulous woman who I loved dearly.

While I was talking to sis about tracing our family tree, I told her things she never knew about my life with our dad and my mom..

When I was four years old my parents finally split after a tumultuous relationship (to say the least).  There were three of us girls, me being the oldest.  I can remember back as far as two years old.  Anyway, around the time of the break-up I was to go spend Christmas with my aunt and uncle whom I adored.  My parents said it would only be for a few days and they would come to pick me up.

That never happened.  My aunt and uncle didn't know how to tell me that they wouldn't be coming so I would wait by the front door every night until I'd fall asleep on the floor.  After awhile my aunt and uncle finally sat me down and said they wouldn't be coming for me and that I was going to live there.  Of course at that age I really didn't understand what was best for me just that I wanted to be with them.

With time I settled in and they became my "parents".  I always envied my younger sisters though because they got to stay with my mom and didn't have to grow up explaining why they lived with their aunt and uncle.

I wanted to change my last name to theirs but they wouldn't let me.  I just thought that I'd feel more like I belonged if I shared their name.  They asked why on earth would I want to do that when I had my own last name.

Some weekends and weeks in the summer I would stay with my mom, grandsparents and sisters in the city.  I loved it because it was like I had two different lives.  Different friends, different surroundings but I didn't really feel like I belonged there either.

It was years later that I knew I in order to have that feeling of belonging I had to create a family of my own.  I'm glad I did because finally I had a place where I belonged.  My children were a blessing to me.  That coupled with the wonderful husband I have, I'm very lucky.

There's a lot more to this journey of mine but that would take up a whole book.  So I'll post here and there just to share special moments and reflect on the past.


My wonderful sister, her husband and son

More to come on a later post...

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment