Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Terrific Tuesday!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why "terrific" Tuesday.  Well first off I hope everyone had a fabulous "Mother's Day".  I know I did.

The kid and I went to see my mom on Sunday morning and then back to our place for a dinner with the boy, Rhonda and baby Natalie.


Rhonda and her girl
 
 
The Boy
 
 
The Kid
 
 
All in all, a great day.
 
I want to mention that I've had many "mothers" through the years.
 
Of course there's my birth mother who is 82 years young next month.  Also, my aunt who raised me from the age of four until I turned 13.  She was a great role model and taught me a lot.  I we her a lot. 
 
Then there's my grandmother whom I miss dearly.  She was a very strong woman who I could talk to about anything.  We would talk for hours and she would tell me about the struggles she faced growing up in Ireland in a large family with very little money.  At the age of 12 she went to work in a factory because back then only the boys were educated.  They assumed the girls would one day get married, have children and that was that.   My grannie wanted better than that and after marrying my grandfather started to squirrel away money so they could emigrate to Canada.  It wasn't easy because she had very little education as far as schooling but she was very educated in the ways of the world.
 
 
By the time she passed away she owned 3 properties and held many investments.  She knew how to survive.
 
Love you grannie!
 
My father's second wife, Jean, was also a very strong woman.  She had such a capacity to love all her children including my two sisters from my mother and me as well.  When I was growing up and would visit her, she always treated me like one of her own.  I love her for that.
 
 
Jean
 
As I grew older I had female friends and mentors that helped me through some rough times that I also want to thank and were "surrogate" moms to me back in those days.
 
I feel very fortunate to have known such strong independent women and wish I had half their strength.
 
With all the ups and downs of motherhood, nothing is more difficult but infinitely most rewarding.
 
Happy Mother's Day to everyone that has ever known the joy of motherhood.
 
 
Me and my grandbaby
 
 
Until later...
 
Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment